The November 17, 2016 Sallie Mae Scholarship Chat on #CampusChat was full of good information for students looking for free money for college. You’ll find the Q & A from the chat below. Next #CampusChat Thursday, December 1, 2016!
#CampusChat November 17, 2016 with Lisa-Marie Jackson of @salliemae
Ok … Let’s get started!
Q1 Why are #scholarships important?
- Scholarships are free money for college that can significantly reduce out-of-pocket college costs for families.
- 34% of college costs were covered by #scholarships/grants in the 2015-2016 AY.
- Find free $ for college with #ScholarshipSearch: Home to more than $24B in scholarships: http://sallie.cc/60038G4JV
Q2 When should high school students start looking for college scholarships?
- Start early! We recommend students start by their junior year of high school & keep applying through college!
Q3 Where do scholarship funds come from?
- Scholarships can come from a variety of sources such as governments, corporations, universities etc.
- College scholarships are also offered by employers, nonprofits, communities, and professional and social orgs.
Sallie Mae Scholarship Chat note:
RT: To celebrate #NationalScholarshipMonth, we are increasing the $1K #PlanforCollege #sweepstakes to $5K! sallie.cc/scholarship
Q4 What types of scholarships are available?
- Scholarships come in all shapes and sizes and extend well beyond academics or athletics.
- There’s a scholarship for almost every interest, activity, and affiliation. You just need to know where to look.
- Chances are you are already doing something that could help you win money for college.
- From scholarships for dart players & vegetarians, #ScholarshipSearch offers awards that match all kinds of interests!
- Have a passion for designing greeting cards? There’s a scholarship for that, too! sallie.cc/scholarship
- #ScholarshipSearch is free & easy to use: just register, fill out a brief profile, & start searching! sallie.cc/scholarship
Q5 How can students develop a winning game plan to start the scholarship search process?
- Block off time for the scholarship search. It takes time to search for scholarships and to submit applications.
- Plan to apply for as many scholarships as possible to maximize your chances of winning.
- Gather school projects and essays that you can reuse for your scholarship submission essays.
- Interview past winners of scholarships you plan to apply for to get insight on what it takes to qualify and win.
Q6 What are your BEST tips to help students find and apply for scholarships?
- Don’t overlook smaller scholarships. Even a few extra dollars can help cover the costs of books.
- Never pay for scholarships. School counselors and financial aid offices can recommend reputable options.
- Pay attention to details. Follow instructions and proofread carefully.
Q7 What should students know about writing scholarship essays?
- The scholarship essay is your opportunity to show colleges what sets you apart from the other applicants.
- Be sure the essay addresses the key requirements for the scholarship and focuses on attributes other than academics.
- 6 tips for writing a great scholarship essay
Q8 How can parents help students in the scholarship search process?
- Encourage your child to participate in extra-curricular activities. This can lead to more scholarship opportunities.
- Begin searching for college scholarships and make a list of any scholarships that your child should look into further.
- Check with your employer. Many employers sponsor scholarship programs for employees and their dependents.
Q9 Can students already in college apply for scholarships?
- Yes. 50% of available scholarships are for students already enrolled in college.
Q10 What should students keep in mind about renewable scholarships?
- Most renewable scholarships come with rules. Be sure to know what is expected of you.
- Are you looking for free money to pay for college? Check out our video: http://sallie.cc/60078G4EZ
For more tips on how to find and apply for scholarships, check out our scholarship infographic: