Set foot on the campus of Florida Southern College and step into the imaginative world of America’s architect, Frank Lloyd Wright. Commissioned by Florida Southern in 1938, Wright designed 18 buildings for the college. Twelve of which were built making the campus the largest single-site collection of buildings designed and built by Wright.
Construction of what would come to be known as the “Child of the Sun” campus commenced with the Annie Pfeiffer Chapel and concluded in 1958 upon completion of the Polk County Science Building.
The admissions office hosts campus tours and visit programs throughout year. The 2010 visitation event officially kicks off on January 15 with the first of the Frank Fridays program. Frank Fridays are structured visit days that include a small group campus tour, admissions and financial aid information sessions, classroom visits, and many opportunities to talk with students and counselors. Meetings with coaches can also be scheduled. The second Frank Friday will be held on March 19, 2010. Click here to learn more or register for either of the Frank Fridays events.
If you can’t make it to a Frank Fridays event, a personal tour can be scheduled anytime except during holidays. Click here for more information or register.
Anyone interested in visiting campus just to see the remarkable architecture will also want to take in the “Child of the Sun” Visitors Center, home to the permanent photographs, furniture, and drawings depicting Wright’s relationship with Florida Southern. In addition, the Center hosts visiting exhibits on loan from various other Wright sites. In-depth guided tours with a docent are available for visitors by appointment, and self-guided walking tours are available at all times.
Florida Southern College
Location: Lakeland, FL 33801